Artist Trading Cards, a fantastic way to create art, share art and encourage art!
You CAN make an Artist Trading Card, the only hard part is getting started.
- Start with 3.5″ x 2.5″ pieces of thick paper. Watercolor paper, bristol board, thick cardstock, etc. Pick a paper that calls to you, one that you will enjoy creating something on. Heck, get crazy… use a variety of materials!You can purchase pre-cut trading cards, or simply cut your own to size. To cut your paper, you can use a paper cutter or a straight edge and cutting knife. Often copy and print centers have paper cutters available for the public to use.
- Pick your medium and express yourself. You can draw, paint, collage etc. You can include fibers, photographs, magazine clippings, etc.
- Create quickly! Some artists limit themselves to 15 minutes per card, others create quicker and some people choose to take more time with them. Remember – you are giving these away.
- Make a lot of them! You will want a selection of cards, perhaps some to keep and some to give away. Make at least double of what you plan to trade, this leaves you with lots of choices of what to trade and what is an idea for another card.
- Express yourself! Explore with color and technique.
- Sign and date the back of your card. Include your contact information or a website if you choose.
- Optional to title your work. Some artists love to title their work, while others like to keep it subjective. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”
- SHARE! The point of the artist trading cards is to share it with other artists.
- SPREAD THE WORD! – Share this page with friends, family, and social media!Raven Art Center will take pictures of as many artist trading cards as possible and post them as a slideshow on the website and on social media. As long as your name is legible, it will be listed along with the card.To join Raven Art Center’s Artist Trading Card Journey:
1. Select three (3.5″ x 2.5″) trading cards that you have created.2. Mail them or drop them off with a SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE along with $5 processing and gallery fee.
Send $5 via paypal to: email@example.com
Or make your check out to Nicole White and send to:
Raven Art Center
301 Washington St. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
If you wish to receive three trading cards, please make sure to include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Hey Raven – Can I enter more than once?
Yes, you can enter more than once. For every three cards that you send in, please include $5 and a separate self-addressed stamped envelope.
Hey Raven – What are you going to do with the artist trading cards that you receive?
All cards that are received will be on display at Raven Art Center until the end of the month. At the end of each month, three will be selected randomly and mailed to you. Yay!
According to Wikipedia: “Artist trading cards (ATCs) is a conceptual art project initiated by the Swiss artist M. Vänçi Stirnemann in 1997. He called it a Collaborative Cultural Performance. Artist trading cards are 2 1⁄2 by 3 1⁄2 inches (64 mm × 89 mm) in size, the same format as modern trading cards (hockey cards or baseball cards). They are self-made unique works or small series, signed and dated on the reverse by the artist/producer, exchanged and collected by the people who participate in the collaborative performance.”
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? Just put “Artist Trading Cards” into a web search, click images and let the inspiration begin.
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Oscar Wilde